Friday, December 20, 2013

Out of the way, it's a busy day... I've got things on my mind...

So, I'm sorry it's been a while since I have written a blog post, (before Thanksgiving in fact) but as the title suggests, I've been busy. After Thanksgiving with Erik and Rachel, finals were in full swing and life happened. It's a busy time of year for all of us, and even now, I'm squeezing in a lunch with Pastor Todd of Living Waters Lutheran in Sauk Rapids before he leaves on a trip to a foreign land. I'm currently waiting for him to finish his pastoral duties before we can eat, so here I am, squeezing in this blog post while I have a few minutes.

It's a busy time of year. Finals are finished, tomorrow will be the shortest day of the year (well, okay... all days are 24 hours long, but tomorrow has the shortest period of daylight) and Christmas is upon us in a few days...

Ahh, Christmas. That magical time of year where we get to open presents, see family, and share this holiday cheer...

I had the blessed opportunity to give a devotion at a senior care facility in Maple Grove yesterday as part of my pastoral care education through my current position. I couldn't really think of anything to say right away, but then it came to me, and I'll share it with you now.

A Christmas Card from long ago...


I told them that when I'm in stores or the mall this time of year and I hear "Mele Kalikimaka" or "Christmas in Killarney" over the radio, I have powerful memories come over me. I remember that when we were young(er) and celebrating Christmas at the Grandparents' house in Saint Cloud, all the cousins would gather round and dance to those songs. My grandfather would be sitting there in his chair with his holey socks and overgrown legs, waiting to catch one of us in case we fell (or maybe to capture us to wrestle with us in his chair) (he had super long arms and could reach us from almost anywhere) and my grandmother in her seat on the couch.

Every time I hear those songs, those vivid memories of those Christmases invade my being, and I am overwhelmed. I told these elderly senior citizens that these overwhelming memories of long past loved ones are God's way of tapping us on the shoulder as if to say, "it's okay. They may be gone now, but they'll always be with you." They'll always be with us, in our memories; in our stories. 

Christmas is a blessed time of year, and let us all remember the good times. Let us also then create new ones with our loved ones, so that we may look back on these days filled with strife more fondly. 

Merry Christmas, and God Bless us, Everyone.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment