Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord
Jesus Christ. Amen.
“Do not be
afraid, little flock, for it is your Father’s good pleasure to give you the
kingdom.” “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all
circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.”
Change. We
love it. We hate it. Change happens.
Sometimes change is gradual. The
sun sets; the sun rises. It takes approximately 24 hours for the Earth to make
a full rotation. 365.25 of these rotations happen every time the Earth travels
around our Sun. Seasons (eventually) change. Because of Earth’s axis and our
corresponding distance to the sun, we experience gradual change in our weather
systems, however, the gradual change has become much harsher in the last few
years. Children (eventually) grow up. Much like the seasons, sometimes this
change is much harsher than is meant to, but generally, there is a gradual
change with children maturing.
There are times when changes are
too gradual and slow. It took the Church around 300 years to agree on what
books should be in the Bible, 1500 years (and a rogue monk) to allow the common
folk to read the Bible, 1800 years for the Catholic Church to formally admit
the Earth was round, and 1900 years to admit that Jews didn’t kill Christ.
Women weren’t allowed to formally be ordained in some protestant churches until
the 1800s, LGBT folk until much later. It took almost 200 years for the United
States to allow voting rights for everyone, and marriage equality is slowly
changing the hearts of the nation, state by state.
While some
change is gradual, change can also be thrust upon us. Bombs are dropped, planes
crash into buildings, and our nation is thrust into perpetual war. Parents
divorce, loved ones die and thus, our family dynamics are never the same.
However, sudden change sometimes arrives in the most unexpected of places.
Moses was
born, shoved in a basket coated with pitch and bitumen, and sent down the
river, because his mother wished to save his life. He grew up, and after
killing an Egyptian, Moses fled from Egypt and became a shepherd in Midian. God
heard the cries of the Israelites, and called upon Moses to save God’s people. Moses
went up to Mount Sinai, and God thrust upon him tremendous change. All of a
sudden, God told Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt, and even though
Moses pleaded to have someone else do it, God chose Moses. So Moses did as was
commanded, and led the Israelite people out of Egypt. “Do not be afraid, little
flock…”
Some of you
may have noticed, that I was not here on Wednesday. Well, at least for long.
Wednesday morning, I dropped Sam off at daycare, and he was his normal jolly
self. I went to class, went to the bank, and drove to work. I did as I always
do, dropped my stuff down, put my phone on the desk, and went to the office to
talk to Jen. I had a lovely talk, and then grabbed what I needed, and returned
to my office. I heard my phone ringing. It was Tiffany. Sam was sick with a
fever at daycare, and I had to drive back home to pick him up and take care of
him. Tiffany was at a social work conference, and unable to leave, so the
burden was on me to be there for Sam.
I just
drove all the way here. I had so much to accomplish, including writing this
sermon. There was no way I’d be able to write this sermon and hangout with sick
Sam all day. I had things to do here. I had to help the youth with their
worship leading, show them how to light the Thurible, work on my Mission Trip
for next summer and write this sermon. All of that changed with that phone
call. Change was thrust upon me. I showed Jen how to use the Thurible, packed
up my things and I rushed home. I did what was absolutely necessary, and I was
off. Sam has spent the last few days pushing out his 2 year molars, and had
given me little opportunity to finish this sermon.
Change
happens like that. Sometimes, our whole life gets thrown out of whack because
of something out of our control. And how does one feel when this happens?
Scared, and completely out of control.
So, there
he was. Not so alone with the thousands of Israelites behind him. In the
wilderness. With no water. The Israelites had just survived slavery in Egypt
and the escape from Pharaoh’s army. Now they were grumbling, miserable, and
thirsty. Whining and complaining, they pointed their frustrations at Moses. Moses was at his wit’s end. The Jewish Study
Bible reads, “Moses cried out to the Lord, saying, “What shall I do with this
people? Before long they will be stoning me!” God instructed Moses to strike a
rock, and water would come forth from the rock. So, Moses did as he was asked
and water issued from it. Moses struck the rock, and God came to the rescue of
the Israelite people, bringing forth water for everyone to drink.
Moses was
no longer the boy who rode down the Nile in a basket, or a shepherd alone in
the wilderness. By this time in the story, Moses had already met God, learned
God’s ineffable name, confronted Pharaoh and his magicians, and led God’s
people out of Egypt. Moses was now the leader of the Israelite people, and on
his way to the Promised Land that was flowing with milk and honey. (Sounds
Sticky)
“Therefore
I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat, or about your
body, what you will wear. For life is more than food, and the body more than
clothing… Consider the lilies, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin… For
it is the nations of the world that strive after all these things, and your
Father knows that you need them…”
There I
was. Alone in the baseball field. I had just survived ten months in Orange
County, where life was unlike anything I had known before. I had missed the
wind blowing in the trees, the quiet peace that was small town life, the clear
air of Midwestern Minnesota. This was my home. For years growing up in
Donnelly, I longed for the city life of Saint Cloud, my birthplace. But as the
years wore on, Donnelly (and by extension, Morris) became my home. So upon
leaving home and arriving in the land of make believe, otherwise known as
California, I was quickly tired of sunny and 70 degrees every day. Crazy I
know, but after 3 months of sun, I started to miss… ya know… weather… My
parents had divorced when I was a sophomore, and I moved to California with my
mother and little brother for my Junior year of high school. I hated the
dramatic changes that my life had taken. From small town to mega suburbia; from
small high school to larger high school (still nowhere near as large as some of
your schools…); from living with two parents then one and helping support
myself and my little brother; from everyone knowing what a Lutheran was to
almost no one knowing…
I went to
school, went to work, paid for our school lunches, and fought my parents on
where I should be living. I won. I moved back to Donnelly at the end of that
school year, and this was my first chance of being alone. Alone, under the
clear blue sky, in the baseball field. I had no idea the changes that were
about to befall me even then, but I didn’t care. I was home. Over the course of
that final summer at home and the eventual school year, I learned about love;
about friendships; about how to live on my own. My father moved down here to
the cities before I even finished high school. I was on my own at 17. Those
next 6 years after high school, I moved eight times, lived in 5 different
apartments, attended four different universities, married Tiffany and became a
father. Here I am today, telling you, that change is hard, but change can be
good. Change was thrust upon me when my parents divorced and I moved to
California and back, but I became who I am today because of it. “Do not be
afraid, little flock…”
There He
was. Alone on a cross. He had just barely survived being beaten, flogged, and
pierced through the side, and there He was, suffocating to death on a cross.
Jesus was no longer the 12 year-old carpenter’s son reading in the temple. No
longer was He just the man who was being baptized in the Jordan; just the man
who healed the sick, cured the blind, or fed the hungry. Neither was He merely
the man who told parables; the man who fished with his friends; or the man who
calmed the seas. Jesus had changed so much in those short 30ish years; seen so
much; been so much to so many.
Just a few days before, He was
riding into Jerusalem with palms or coats being thrown at His feet for Jesus
and His disciples to walk on. Just a few days before, He had dinner with his
friends, and He washed their feet. Jesus knew he was going to die, but change
was thrust upon His disciples when the authorities arrested Him. Peter denied
Christ three times. The cock crowed. Judas ended his own life. On Easter
morning, His disciples were scared, ran away, or were doubtful. After Christ’s
ascension, Peter and the rest of the disciples went from following Jesus to
proclaiming His message.
They were thrusting change upon the world. And this
change happened slowly over time, but the entire world was forever changed
because of Christ’s life and eventual death on the Cross. The entire world was
saved because of God’s grace. Christ changed the world. Christ changes us.
Christ changes you. Change happens. Everything on this planet changes. Coal eventually
turns into Diamond; children eventually become adults; students become
teachers; and winter (eventually) turns to spring.
Life begins anew with spring, yet
Frosty winter has died, forget?
Cold must cease to welcome the birds
Christ must die, to rise on the third
Change happens. God blesses this
change, and instructs us to not fear it. We are different because of this
change, but we are better for it. We are not defined by who we were, but by who
we are today. I don’t love Minnesota because of the winter, but because of the
spring. Easter is not determined by Lent, but the timing of Lent is determined
by the timing of Easter. We hearty Minnesotans stay here through these long
harsh winters because we know and we love the beauty of spring. We are
Lutherans because of the emptiness of this Cross. We believe in and profess the
living word, the risen Christ. It is God’s grace and mercy because of Christ’s
death on the Cross that we proudly profess is freely given to everyone. Grace
that is freely given because of Christ’s death and resurrection. Change is
coming my friends. Do not be afraid. Embrace it.
Amen.





No comments:
Post a Comment