![]() |
| Woefully wistful... |
Luke Skywalker was a lonely moisture farmer on the far outer rim world of Tatooine. Far from the Emperor’s reach on the galaxy, Luke was barely aware of the War between the Empire and the Rebel Alliance, or the battle going on above him. Until two special droids happened upon him, he was quite content living his peaceful life as a moisture farmer. Unbeknownst to him, these two droids held the key to saving the galaxy. Soon after discovering these droids, Obi-Wan Kenobi came to the rescue when Luke was attacked by roaming raiders. Obi-Wan knew what these droids meant to the galaxy. Obi-Wan knew who Luke Skywalker was, and the power he possessed. He knew Luke was destined for great things, he only needed to convince Luke of that.
![]() |
| You could poke an eye out with that... |
The Rebel Alliance needed Luke’s help, and Obi-Wan knew it. So, after explaining to Luke the dire situation, and without going into too much more detail, Obi-Wan essentially said to Luke, “Come and See…” “Come and See” what power you possess. Come and feel the power of the force. Come and save the galaxy. Luke protested. He bartered. He put up every defense he could think of. But upon finding out dire news, Luke knew he had no choice but to indeed “Come and See”.
“Come and See”.
In today’s Gospel, the newly proclaimed Lamb of God told his first disciples to “Come and See.” Through the disciples, through the Gospel, he thus calls us to “Come and See.” We each have a “Come and See” moment at least once in our life. When we are little, our parents tell us to “Come and See” what they have for us. Christmas is a “Come and See” jubilee of presents, family and fun. And yet still, there are more prolific events in our lives that are even more of “Come and See” moments. I’m talking about your calling. I’m talking about Vocation.
![]() |
| NOT Vacation... But that is pretty... |
No, not VACATION, but VOCATION. One of Luther Seminary’s professors, Rolf A Jacobson, defines vocation best in this way:
“The thing you do that was given to you to do in the way you do for the benefit of those you are doing it for.
Got that? Vocation - not to be confused with vacation (taking a break from things) or vacuation (getting stuff out of your system) - is the thing(s) you are called by God to do, with gifts and talents God has given you, to which you commit your passion and excitement and energy for the sake of God's CREATION.
The word comes from a Latin term, vocare, meaning "calling" - which implies a caller: God. God calls more than just pastors. God calls each of us, gives us many gifts, and gives us a lift up by means of the Spirit. Actually, we all have more than one vocation. Our Christian vocations include our jobs, our roles as family members, our roles as friends, as neighbors, as citizens, and so on. Vocation is all about loving the NEIGHBOR and serving in God's name.”
For it is not merely Gospel writers, parents, Jedi Masters or employers telling you to “Come and See”, it is God. Divine Will. I’ve written a few times about Divine Will, for the concept intrigues me. However, I have my own personal experiences with it that inspire that intrigue. For it is that I am called to eventually be ordained into pastoral ministry. Ask me sometime about my Garlic Bread story, but suffice it to say that I kicked around after high school a little, met Tiffany at Lutheran Campus Ministry in Moorhead, and felt the call from God shortly after entering college. I feel that I am called to specifically campus ministry, but for now, I’m still a Junior at Luther Seminary. I have three years of education and internship ahead of me, plus at least three years at a first call until I’m able to fulfill my true calling.
I came to Luther Seminary before I even graduated from Saint Cloud State University with my Bachelor of Elective Studies degree. I entered into the Children, Youth and Family program and thus was thrown into flurry of interviewing for paid youth ministry opportunities. After being discouraged from multiple NO’s from other congregations, I had a lovely call from Pastor Chris inviting me to check this church out. I’m so very thankful for that call. Today’s Psalm says, “He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God. Many will see and fear, and put their trust in the LORD.” (Psalm 40:3)
Yeah, it was something like that… Anyway, that call from Pastor Chris was God saying to me, “Come and See”. So I came, and I saw. I saw what wonderful people you are. I saw the beautiful ministry that goes on here. I also saw the hurt from wounds still fresh, yet God’s healing presence is ever present. I saw the tremendous opportunity for growth this church has for me; and the tremendous growth opportunity this church has for itself. I plan to grow alongside you, making this church a better place for us all. And here I am, in front of you all, thanking you all for this blessed opportunity. Without your support, I wouldn’t be able to be here. Without your continued support of all the youth activities, I wouldn’t be able to be here.
Isaiah tells us how he’s been called to be the prophet that he became in our first lesson. For it is that in Isaiah that we first learn of the call for the Messiah, that shoot of Jesse. “You are my servant, Israel, in whom I will be glorified.” (Isaiah 49:3) Isaiah was called to “Come and See”, the disciples were called to “Come and See”, and each of us are called to “Come and See”.
![]() |
| Everybody needs somebody... |
Each one of us are called to be somebody for someone. Each one of us is called to be whatever God wills us to be. Each one of us is called to “Come and See” the glory that is God’s creation. Remember last week when it was unbearably cold, and the wind was so cold it would freeze your brains? When it was so cold that the governor closed every public school in the state? Did you dare stop to listen? Did you stop in that frigid cold, for a few seconds, just to listen? You see, sound travels so very well in that cold. Moisture has trouble forming in that cold, so sound waves have nothing but physical objects to block them. What that means is you can hear practically everything you couldn’t before. I remember last week when I briefly just stood there and listened, the snow sounded different. The snow felt and sounded like Styrofoam. At other times in that frigid cold, I have stood in that stillness, and heard the crinkling of the ice on trees; the smoke coming out of a chimney with a low hum; a rabbit hopping a block away. And somewhere in that cold; that frigid air; that stillness, God was there.
![]() |
| You know... that cold... |
“Come and See”, Jesus said. Next time it gets that cold, (hopefully it waits until next winter), just stop and listen. “Come and See” the glory that is God’s creation. There are two images I think of when hearing the words “God’s creation”. This frigid image of stillness, and an open field. Maybe some of you have had the pleasure of growing up on farms, in the middle of nowhere, so some of you may know of this, but I encourage each of you to get out of this bubble that is the cities. I encourage each of you to drive until any hope of civilization is miles away. This is another reason I’m thankful for being called to Maple Grove. I miss the openness. I miss the sprawling prairies of Western Minnesota. Maple Grove is on the edge of the cities, and I like that. You don’t have to drive too far to be in the middle of nowhere. Not so long ago, this was the middle of nowhere. I used to joke that Donnelly was on the edge of the planet, with the drop-off just over the horizon. But even so, when I need to clear my head, I imagine that open field in the middle of nowhere, with nothing but the sound of nature to keep me company. In the summer of 2015, I’ll be inviting the Junior High youth to “Come and See” the beauty that is Greater Minnesota. (...more like Better Minnesota)
God calls us each to “Come and See”. It may be our vocation that God is calling us towards. It may be God calling us to see God’s beautiful creation, but that Lamb of God is calling us for a purpose. In the words of Smith in The Matrix Reloaded, “It is purpose that created us, purpose that connects us, purpose that pulls us, that guides us, that drives us; it is purpose that defines us, purpose that binds us.” We seek this purpose daily. Even if we think we know what God’s purpose for us is, we may still be wrong. That’s what faith is for. Faith is that binding agreement between us and God. God has faith in us, we have faith in God. Paul said it best in today’s epistle reading from 1 Corinthians, “I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that has been given you in Christ Jesus, for in every way you have been enriched in him, in speech and knowledge of every kind - just as the testimony of Christ has been strengthened among you - so that you are not lacking in any spiritual gift as you wait for the revealing of our Lord Jesus Christ. He will also strengthen you to the end, so that you may be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. God is faithful; by him you were called into the fellowship of his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.” (1 Corinthians 1:4-9)
The Lamb of God calls everyone, saying “Come and See”. God calls all of us. Go, and see God’s purpose for you in your life, and live in the splendor of God’s creation.
Amen.





No comments:
Post a Comment